I can barely even think of the 80s without thinking of Billy Idol. His snarl, his swagger, the leather and the spiky blonde hair – iconic! He had that accessible bad boy thing going on, which is what made him one of the most popular male singers of the decade. His songs are still rad to listen to, as well.
What you need to know about Billy Idol:
- Was born William Michael Albert Broad, 30 November 1955, in Middlesex, England.
- A Sex Pistols fan, he got involved in punk bands in the late 70s.
- His band Generation X was signed to Chrysalis Records in 1980.
- He began working as a solo artist not long after and released his first self-titled album.
- He became an MTV staple with the video for his single White Wedding
- His second LP, Rebel Yell, was a major success and made him a superstar.
- Was involved in a serious motorcycle accident in 1990 that nearly cost him a leg.
- In 1993 he released a cutting-edge album called Cyberpunk which he had recorded at home using his Mac, years before this became common practice.
- Played himself in the Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore movie, The Wedding Singer, which was set in the 80s.
- Continues to record and tour.
Not Billy Idol Educated? Download These Songs:
Dancing With Myself
Hot in the City
Cradle of Love