Queen of Pop
I don’t even know if there’s anything I can say about Madonna. She was a true 80s icon, a superstar, the reigning queen of the decade. I don’t think anyone had more influence on popular culture in the 80s than she did – she captured the feel of the decade like no one else was quite able to. How to rate her today is another thing altogether, but in the world of Pop Eighties, she will always be the Queen of Pop.
What you need to know about Madonna:
- Born Madonna Louise Ciccone, August 15, 1968 in Michigan.
- Her debut album titled Madonna was released in 1983 on Sire Records and contained the hits Borderline and Lucky Star.
- Released her second album in 1984 titled Like a Virgin. This album contained many of the most enduring Madonna hits to this day.
- Starred in the 1985 film Desparately Seeking Susan. This film cemented her status as both a star and a fashion icon.
- Her third album was True Blue, released in 1986.
- Has starred in a number of critically panned movies such as Shanghai Surprise and Swept Away.
- Fourth album was Like a Prayer, which Rolling Stone called “as close to art as pop music can get”.
- Had a strong sexual image in the 90s and released a book called Sex, which included sexually explicit photos.
- Has reinvented herself countless times since the 80s, with electronic, dance, pop, rock, country and many other influences.
- Continues to make music and sell out concerts world-wide to this day. Is still one of the biggest names in music.
Not Madonna Educated? Download These Songs:
Like a Virgin
Papa Don’t Preach
La Isla Bonita
Like a Prayer
Take a Bow
–All available for purchase on iTunes–